Tuesday 10 December 2013

Winnipeg Reaches First -30°C of The Season; Cold Continues

     With a low of -30.5°C overnight, Winnipeg has -finally- hit -30°C for the first time this season after jogging around the -28°C to -29°C mark for many days. The last time Winnipeg hit -30°C was actually all the way back to February 2 at -34.4°C. Brandon however, has yet to reach -30°C this season.

     The frigid conditions will continue throughout the rest of the week. However, there will be a chance that we may even break the -20°C barrier and reach the minus teens on Thursday. Another shot of frigid air will follow unfortunately with highs in the -20's for Friday and the weekend. There have been hints of some warming up next week, but I'm not putting too much faith in that just yet. Will let you know if it looks to become reality.

     As for snow, some flurries will be possible on Thursday. Some more snow will be possible on Friday, especially early in the day. However, the trend has been for the clipper system to miss us to the west, with southeastern Saskatchewan and parts of southwestern Manitoba seeing the most. A few cm will be possible there. Not a major system by any means.

     Another clipper system is expected for Saturday. At this point, anywhere from 2-7 cm can be expected in southern Manitoba. Winnipeg will have a better chance for snow with this system. Updates will come as the days get closer.

8 comments:

  1. How reliable is the CPC Monthly Outlook (and DJF) suggesting a cold snowy December and late spring.
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/fxus05.html
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JJ,
    I know that it is only -21 now but is -30 possible tonight with northwest winds replacing the southerly wind?
    Thanks for your time, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jeff,
      I think it's very likely Winnipeg will reach -30°C again tonight. I put -31°C as my forecast this morning and I think that's still a good forecast even now. However, if we stay clear all night I wouldn't even be surprised if we got a little lower than that. If clouds dominate, then we may stay a bit warmer.

      Delete
    2. Brrr, I hate the cold!

      Delete
  3. Just realised I forgot to mention Saturday's clipper system in this post so I just added it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JJ, Just found a cool jet stream map that I thought you may find useful ( that is if you don't already use it). Click on my name to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't know about that website. Thanks for sharing Willy.

      Delete
  5. I'm a little surprised we didn't get a bit colder overnight given clear skies. Who knew it was soo difficult to reach -30°C in Winnipeg? (Not that I'm complaining)

    ReplyDelete